Arsenal are reportedly interested in signing Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes during this transfer window after it emerged that he has chosen to shelve talks over a new deal with the German outfit.
According to reports in TalkSport, Schalke are said to be very keen to tie down the one club man to a new contract but having seen Lewis Holtby pursue his dream of playing in the Premier League, Howedes has perhaps chosen the decision to ply his trade somewhere else and look for a new challenge.
Arsene Wenger is in the market for a new defender and could see the big solid unit as the ideal man to come in and sort out the very shaky defence, as Per Mertesacker, Thomas Vermaelen and Laurent Koscielny have at times looked off the pace this season.
Howedes has won ten German caps and has racked up almost 200 appearances with Schalke since his debut in October 2007 and has attracted interest from some of Europe’s top clubs with some of his performances.
However, it is believed that Manchester United and Liverpool are also keen on the defender and could challenge us for his signature, if Wenger decides to actually make a bid for the star in the next few weeks.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Arsenal can have no margin of error tonight, claims Arsene Wenger
- Arsenal striker wants to be the ‘Wright’ man at the club for the future
- Goal hero Flamini dedicates both goals to the fans who’ve stood by him
- Agent of Anthony Martial slams Wenger for turning him down during window
- Arsenal’s ‘heroic midfielder’ last night, expected to leave at end of season