Arsene Wenger has revealed that Thomas Vermaelen is set to become the next Arsenal captain after the departure of Robin van Persie to Manchester United.
Mikel Arteta has been named as the vice-captain of the club in his second season after signing from Everton for £10m.
“The new captain is Vermaelen and [the vice-captain is] Arteta,” Wenger said while speaking to the reporters. “We have many potential captains in this team.”
The 26-year-old Belgian international joined the club in 2009 and had played only 67 games and scored 13 goals for the club. He suffered several injuries in his Arsenal career but whenever he took the field, he was rock solid behind the back.
Arsenal will face Sunderland in the opening day fixture at the Emirates, and they would seriously consider themselves as title contenders this season.
Wenger said: “Traditionally it is always an intense, physical game against them. We have to create space.”
Possibly Related Posts:
- Arsenal circle, as ‘rock’ is on the move!
- Arsenal target wants move, but Gunners stay cheap?
- Arsenal quoted insane amount for attacking midfielder!
- Arsenal to make Barcelona swoop, as clause to be activated?
- Arsenal hit Spanish wall in chase for talent?